Brick & Lime Supplies are proud to have been involved in the multi-million pound restoration of the Hadlow Tower, near Tonbridge, in Kent.
The grade I listed gothic folly is a local landmark from the 19th century which fell into disrepair 30 years ago.
Roger Stanley, a Hadlow resident who grew up in the town, was devastated by the tower’s decline and sought action. He, along with 14 other residents, formed Save Hadlow Tower Action Group which is exactly what they managed to do.
Their aims were to:
- Preserve the Hadlow Tower for the people of Kent
- Maintain the historical, architectural and constructional heritage of the tower
- Promote the restoration and long-term maintenance of the tower
- Support Tonbridge & Malling Borough Council, English Heritage and the National Lottery Heritage Fund in protecting the future of Hadlow Tower
- Raise funds in order to meet the costs of the tower’s restoration
- Provide assistance and support wherever necessary to aid the preservation
- Funding was secured after a successful bid by the Borough Council which was backed by a public petition that had 1,000 signatures.
Building preservation trust, The Vivat Trust committed to its largest project to date when they agreed to undertake the renovation once the tower had been acquired through Compulsory Purchase.
Brick & Lime Supplies acted as the main agents for Cornish Lime, who supplied the majority of the materials for the external render.
The result is a beautifully restored tower which has been saved for the enjoyment of generations to come.